Saturday, January 30, 2010

A Vision of K-12 Students Today

Today, technology is everywhere. It has changed the way we live, communicate and learn. The majority of populations who are known to adapt to and manipulate these technologies are children or adolescence. As the video shows, now, they are requiring that instructors use this new method in their teaching.


During the period that I taught elementary school kids, I was the one who used the computer and software in teaching but hardly let my students use them. I was afraid that these young kids become addicted to computers and the internet, since I have witnessed many students who suffer from chatting, game and the internet addiction. I believe that children should go out and explore by running and playing. However, these new technologies are so fascinating and powerful, children are easily absorbed in it, not knowing that how to control themselves.


This video might have changed the way I think about children using technology in learning. It says we need to actively adopt the benefits of it so that our kids explore the world outside, communicate for more information and keep the pace with new changes. I feel I need to teach how to benefit from the technology. Saying them not to be too friendly with the computer is not enough. They need to know how to use it more wisely.

1 comment:

  1. I think you have pointed out one of our new roles as educators when you say that students need to learn how to use computers more wisely. We need to be guides for our students as they navigate this new world of cyberspace.

    Dr. Burgos

    ReplyDelete