Monday, January 25, 2010

Safe blogging

When I read about safety tips for blogging, I remembered big mistakes that I made. I was a bad role model that shows how personal information can be invaded. Me and my studnets had a small classroom homepage on the Web and students needed their username and password to get access to the site. However, most of them forgot thier usernames or password since they created the account years ago. So, I let them know mine so that they can post their homework on the classroom homepage. Well, I was very disappointed when I found that one of them had changed my password. So, my number one for safe blogging will be,

  • Teaching the importance of keeping personal information safe: invasion of personal information can result in getting spam mails everyday or more seriously cyber crimes.


    The details are as follows.

  • Do not share information about themselves with people that they meet on the internet especially through instant messages or chat rooms.
  • Be careful about commercial sites that require one’s personal information by offering things such as lottery. (at the same time teachers should guide kids to the safe, non-commercial and beneficial sites.)
  • Avoid using their real names for username, or nickname that can be identifiable the gender.



Most of all, parents and teachers always talk about safe blogging with their kids so that they can help them when something happens. And as myself, I will never give my username and password even for good purpose to my students to become a good model of safe blogging.

2 comments:

  1. Hyeyoung,
    Thanks for sharing your personal story to illustrate how a considerate act may be unsafe. It really makes the point.
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hyeyoung,

    We all learn from our mistakes and we all make them! Thanks for sharing your error with us. I hope it will make the issue of safety more real for all of us.

    Dr. Burgos

    ReplyDelete