Monday, February 8, 2010

Looking for a classroom reading material?

When I first visited this blog and looked around for useful information, I was overwhelmed. It seems that this blog deals with a lot of things on English learning and teaching. After more than one hour of investigation, I could find some useful resources for me as and English teacher. What I think the handiest for me is flash stories under TEACH category. Reading in language education has a number of benefits especially to child learners providing more natural setting of acquisition of the target language. However, in Korea, in public schools, the curriculum or English syllabus do not provide reading opportunities to kids because they densely focus on oral and aural aspects of English learning. I could not find many resources or materials for reading and even though we have some English books at the library, they were not very useful in classroom teaching because of its limited numbers for every students and small size to present in front of the class.


The flash stories I found on this blog is very useful for two reasons. First, every student can get access to the web site so I can ask them to watch and read for homework. Second, I can use this during my class. We have pretty big TV in every classroom so that everyone can watch and read at the same time just like the text books we have. Besides these reading materials this blog also forms broad network of English teachers across countries which enables teacher and learners to share variety of ideas. Also, I think this blog would help my learners gain learning autonomy by providing self-learning tools and games and stuffs.

1 comment:

  1. Hyeyoung,
    The Ning you chose sounds like a good one for you. However, in reading your post I was a little confused. It would be clearer if you put the the name of the Ning you are referring to at the beginning of your post in place of the words "this blog." Actually a Ning is not a blog, it is a social networking site. :-)
    Dr. Burgos

    ReplyDelete